All-on-4® Dental Implants
|Table of Contents|
In the 1990s a doctor named Dr. Paulo Malo from the MALO Clinic in Portugal was able to revolutionize this treatment into a practical method that could be adopted by other doctors.
Today, All-on-4® has evolved into a preferred method for dentists to be able to help edentulous (toothless) patients.
What Are All-on-4® Dental Implants?
The term All-on-4® is used because only four dental implants are placed in the upper or lower jaw as a base for a full arch of replacement teeth.
All-on-4 is far more superior to traditional removable dentures. They provide the same level of comfort as your natural teeth and also allow for the same functionality when it comes to eating and the ability to speak normally.
Who Is A Candidate For All-on-4® Implants?
There are no age restrictions for eligibility, the patient only needs to be in good overall health.
The all-on-4 system uses the remaining bone structure in the front of your jaw for the implant to be placed.
Tooth loss will cause the bone in your jaw to degrade fairly quickly. A bone graft may be needed if a patient has suffered severe bone loss.
Here is a video of one of our happy patients that underwent the All-on-4 dental implant procedure.
Are Dentures Better or Worse Than Implants?
The concept of a full set of implants had not yet been completely developed.
Dentures are still used today and have helped a large number of people.
However, they do have some disadvantages compared to All-on-4 implants.
- Affordable and reliable solution to replacing multiple teeth
- Long-Lasting if cared for and cleaned properly and regularly
- Resembles your natural teeth and improves your smile
- Maintenance is one thing that is more tedious with dentures. Cleaning them and removing them after every meal and at night can become inconvenient. Dentures also require to be soaked in a cleaning dental solution to disinfect overnight.
- Speech and chewing ability are more of a challenge. Because dentures are removable, they tend to move at times when you are talking and do not provide a natural strong chewing feeling like your natural teeth.
- May need to be fitted multiple times as more bone loss occurs in the upper-lower jaw
What are the advantages of All-on-4® dental implants?
There are multiple advantages to All-on-4 dental implants.
The main advantage is that it is possible to replace a full set of teeth with only four dental implants. This can reduce expenses for the patient and also the amount of time spent at the dentist to completely restore your teeth.
- Low-maintenance compared to traditional dentures
- A long-lasting permanent solution to teeth replacement
- Improve oral health and aesthetics of your face, jaw, and smile
- Stay in place and provide natural comfort with speech and also with chewing foods
Are All-on-4® Dental Implants The Best Option?
There are multiple dental implant procedures designed to help each patient in their unique circumstance.
All-on-4 is generally the best option for anyone that needs to undergo a minimal surgical procedure to replace multiple teeth at once.
The surest way to know if All-on-4 dental implants are right for you is to schedule a consultation with our prosthodontist Dr. Samo.
During your consultation, a 3d imaging x-ray will be taken to help the doctor determine the optimal course of action for your individual case.